From 19 to 25 July 2015, I crossed the Alps in mountain bike, starting in Augsburg (Bavaria, Germany) and arriving in Bolzano (Italy). I covered myself and the bike in sensors, and here is a summary of the data collected:
- Total time: 21 hours 50 seconds
- Total active time: 20 hours 45 seconds
- Total distance: 388.8 km
- Total pedals revolutions: 63.060
- Total heart beats: 175,628 (max heart rate: 167 bpm)
- Mean temperature overall: 28.5 C
- Maximum temperature: 41 C
- Minimum temperature: 18 C
- Maximum altitude: 1523.5 m
- Minimum altitude: 265 m
- Positive level difference: 5432 m
- Negative level difference: 5532 m
- Uphills (more than 3%): 76.7 km
- Downhills (more than 3%): 75.4 km
- Mean speed: 17.8 km/h
- Maximum speed: 66.2 km/h
- 78593 GPS points collected
Videos available on Youtube.
on the third day, a weather alert did not allow us to bike up the mountain and we had to use public transportation. That explains the sudden increase in altitude.
To download R code and dataset, click here (1.6 MB).